How 4 minutes of exercise and change your health
The common myth of exercise is that a person must exercise for at least 30 minutes to receive the benefits of the exercise. The good news for drivers is that countless studies have shown that not be the case! We now know that you can see great effect from exercise lasting as little as three minutes! What’s the catch? Well, there really isn’t one. The only real requirement to achieve the benefits from such a short bout of exercise is that it has to be INTENSE! This means that your heart rate is elevated, you are using as much of your body as possible and you are going as fast and as hard as you possibly can! Obviously this is great news for professional long haul drivers due to the tight and demanding schedules of the industry. The only bad news is that now no one has an excuse not to exercise!
Most people can tell you that exercise is an important component of healthy living whether they participate in it themselves or not. What does that typically include? Walking, jogging, playing sports or going to the gym for a cardio or weightlifting session? While all of these things are a great way to get exercise in, many people neglect one of the most important components of health and fitness; stretching! As we age it becomes more and more vital to maintain mobility and flexibility to not only protect ourselves from injury and keep muscles and joints in good condition but also to maintain our ability to perform the daily tasks of living.
There are many ways to enhance strength. The main focus is just to challenge the existing muscle to maintain the current size and strength or increase (hypertrophy) that size and strength. There are many ways to influence muscle strength which include resistance exercises or endurance exercises. If your intention is to increase muscle strength, you will need to perform resistance exercises that create the muscle to fatigue. Over time the body will over come that fatigue and the muscle will get stronger. Your body type will determine how the muscle will hypertrophy.
Strength TrainingLow Back
- Core exercises maintaining a neutral (flat) back. (maintaining a plank position).
- Gluteal squeeze- while in a seated position contract and hold buttocks
- Kegel exercise- One of the easiest ways for men to locate your muscles is during urination. Here’s how:
- Halfway through urination, try to stop or slow down the flow of urine.
- Don’t tense the muscles in your buttocks, legs and don’t hold your breath.
- When you can slow or stop the flow of urine, you’ve successfully located these muscles.
Once you understand which muscles you are contracting then:
- Contract these muscles for a slow count of five.
- Release the muscles to a slow count of five.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Do a set of 10 Kegels daily, three times a day
- These exercises can be done both seated or while standing which increases resistance